The Diocese of Guildford was formed in 1927 from part of the ancient Diocese of Winchester. Its cathedral, dedicated to The Holy Spirit and built between 1936 and 1961, is one of only two British Anglican cathedrals to be built on a new site since the C16th Reformation - Liverpool is the other.
The Diocese, covering an area of about 500 sq miles, includes most of Surrey and North East Hants, and touches on West Sussex and Outer London, with a population of 900,000 people. There are over 200 stipendiary clergy, along with 163 parishes and 218 churches.
The Diocese is divided into two Archdeaconries - those of Surrey and Dorking. The former consists of the the Area Deaneries of Aldershot, Cranleigh, Farnham, Godalming, Guildford and Surrey Heath. The Archdeaconry of Dorking comprises the Area Deaneries of Dorking, Emly, Epsom, Leatherhead, Runnymede and Woking.
The Diocese of Guildford shares boundaries with the Dioceses of London, Southwark, Chichester, Portsmouth, Winchester and Oxford.