Welcome to the Stewardship hub!
NEW Training Events: Preaching on Financial Giving
Tuesday 28th February 2pm to 4pm at The Education Centre
AND Running a Successful Stewardship Programme Workshop
Wednesday 29th March 10am to11.30am at The Education Centre
see below for full details
An overflowing generosity and grace is at the very heart of God’s character. The life and stories of Jesus show how we can live our lives in a different way characterized by wholeness and blessing. The challenge for us as disciples is to be prepared to align ourselves with ways of living and giving that release, not obstruct, the flow of God's generosity.
As a Diocese, we work alongside parishes in the following areas:
We are here to offer parishes practical support and advice through:
- One-to-one or small team meetings with incumbents, treasurers and stewardship promoters
- Presentations and discussion facilitation with PCCs and finance committees
- Training in any stewardship area
- Email, telephone conversations or via the post (no query is too small or too obscure!)
- Sharing an extensive bank of resources and pointing parishes to other materials and sources of information, examples of best practice.
Please follow the links under Stewardship & Funding on the left-hand side to find out more.
Treasurers, Stewardship Promoters and Gift Aid Secretaries will automatically receive general stewardship news bulletins from the diocese. We have also started a new quarterly capital funding newsletter, open to anyone involved in a building project in their parish. You can sign up to receive this mailing and browse our mailing archive.
Training and Events
Preaching on Financial Giving
Led by: Juliet Evans & Alan Hulme
Date: Tuesday 28th February 2017 Time: 14.00-16.00
Location: The Education Centre, Guildford Cathedral, Stag Hill, Guildford GU2 7UP
To book your place: email email@example.com or phone 01483 484902.
Cost: Free to attend
Issues of stewardship and generosity are vital discipleship topics. Preaching on these areas should be a joy and a pleasure – and plays an important part in both our diocesan transformation goal of Encouraging Generous Giving and also the Church of England’s Giving for Life initiative.
This is an interactive session for anyone (clergy and lay) who preaches, to explore why & how to preach on the issue of stewardship and financial giving.
- Looking at what the Bible has to say on generosity and financial giving.
- Example sermon from Alan Hulme.
- An opportunity to discuss and share, and review the resources available to support you, including the Giving for Life material, bank of sample sermons etc.
“It is not the preacher’s job to raise the funds for the church, but rather to nurture generous disciples, who are willing to give of our time, money, hospitality wherever and whenever we are called to do so – living generously in the world. As we encourage discipleship, it is important to focus on the giver, rather than the gift. All too often money-related preaching is focused on giving to the church, whereas the generosity and grace of God should be the starting point of our preaching.”
Extract from ‘Giving for Life: Continuing the Journey’
Running a Successful Stewardship Programme Workshop
An opportunity for parishes to come together to share experiences, questions and resources – and to see what support is available at a diocesan and national level, so you are not ‘re-inventing the wheel’.
Location: The Education Centre, Guildford Cathedral site, Stag Hill, Guildford GU2 7UP
Date & Time: Wednesday 29th March 2017
Time: 10am – 11.30 am (tea and coffee will be served from 9.45am)
Cost: Free to attend.
To book your place: email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01483 484902
This workshop is for anyone currently working on – or considering – a stewardship (planned giving) programme in their church. Clergy, Treasurers, Stewardship Promoters, Finance Committee Members and anyone on a Parish Funding Programme Team are all welcome.
In our discussions we’ll be looking at examples of stewardship programmes from a wide range of other parishes. You’ll go home with an information pack, a list of useful websites – and lots of ideas!
We’ll also cover the basics:
- A stewardship ‘campaign’ in the context of church life and our discipleship journey
- How to structure a stewardship campaign – top tips and templates
- Getting a team together
- Communication – how, what and why
- How can we get people excited about paying for the light bulbs?
- After the ‘campaign’, what next?