Governor Training Programme and Support
Our Governor Training Programme is offered to Church schools and Community, Foundation and independent schools. It complements LA provision and provides quality face-to-face training on all aspects of the role and responsibilities of Governors.
We deliver two main types of training:
- Daytime and evening sessions at The Education Centre, next to Guildford Cathedral, in small groups of 6-20 governors
- In-school training to whole governing bodies or a mix of governors and staff
Education Services to Schools
- One of the key benefits of buying PLATINUM or GOLD membership to Education Services to Schools is that governors are entitled to unlimited, FREE attendance of governor training courses at the Education Centre.
- PLATINUM & GOLD membership of Services to Schools also entitles governors to FREE access to GEL online training.
- For schools who are not members of Education Services to Schools, they can register for courses on a a pay-as-you-go basis (£100 per head).
For more information about Education Services to Schools click here.
Compared with other providers, we believe that both payment options offer good value for money.
Our Link Governors make all bookings online on our Link Governor website. This means that bookings are made and confirmed without having to fill out booking forms or wait for a reply.
Our Governor Training courses cover a wide range of areas. For a full description of courses in the Autumn term click here.
Diocesan Officers from the Schools Team, Associate Consultants, Governors and serving Headteachers deliver the training. We offer a warm welcome, a friendly atmosphere and refreshments. The training is both professional and face-to-face, with time for discussion and questions at every session. There is opportunity to browse the resources for schools, parishes and individuals to borrow from our Resources Centre.
Heads and Chairs of Governing Bodies are invited to termly briefings at the Education Centre with the Diocesan Director of Education and the schools team. Clerks to Governing Bodies also attend their own briefing here. In addition, schools and governors always have access to the Diocesan Director and the schools’ education team.
Foundation governors play a vital role in the governance of church schools. The following file sets out in some detail the role and the appointment process:
Acrobat pdf doc (178KB)
For more information contact:
Keep up to date with the latest news from around Guildford Diocese, using the links below.
Do you have a story for us? It could not be easier to tell us your news and spread the message across the Diocese. Simply click the button below.
Celebrities and Church leaders show their support for the sponsored walk or cycle
The National Churches Trust launch free video call consultations for places of worship
St Luke's, Grayshott will stage the new choral work of Karl Jenkins to mark a 10 year anniversary
Following a website user survey the diocese is developing plans for a new website to help improve the use and usefulness of the online service
The ride will promote awareness and provide funds to support the work of the charity
Heritage Open Days are back this year with a WW1 theme
The Ride+Stride is back again to help save our churches