Diocesan Clerical Registrar
Revd Dr Jack Mulder
Tel: 01403 581066
The Clergy Register is a team of Clergy with Permission to Officiate, living across the diocese, who are willing to give locum cover for services during holidays, sickness and emergencies, sabbaticals and vacancies. The Register charges the standard occasional duty fees, plus 10% to cover Register expenses and the travelling expenses of the locum minister at the current Customs and Revenue rate. Requests for locum cover should be made to the Clerical Administrator, giving as much notice as possible.
Occasional duty fees are based on the statutory funeral fee for the previous year and from 1st September 2015 it will be:
Sundays and Festivals
£30 for the first service
£22 for a second or subsequent service by the same minister in the same parish church on the same day
£22 for each service
- If the arrangement is made with the Register, an account will be rendered to the parish and all fees should be paid to the Register. This is usually the most practical arrangement if a priest assists with several parishes.
- Where parishes make a direct arrangement with the priest, the latter should provide a written request for payment to the parish, which should be paid promptly.
- It is hoped that all retired clergy who apply for permission to officiate in the diocese will agree to put their names on the Register.
- The provision for payment of a fee does not apply to LLM (Readers) nor to 'swaps' of stipendiary clergy between parishes, nor to SSMs. The parish should, of course, meet travelling expenses.
- There is a statutory fee due to the DBF for weddings and funerals. In certain instances a PTO may be entitled to retain the DBF fee. Please see the full guidelines on this
- During a vacancy, that part of the parochial fee due to the DBF may be used to pay fees to those on the Clergy Register. See Diocese of Guildford Parochial Fees Policy XXIV.