mw__1276511479_News_Image - letterbox crop

Marriage of Minors

If a party to a marriage is aged 16 or 17 and the marriage is by banns, the banns may lawfully be published without proof of parental consent, but the parents or guardians can give notice of dissent from the banns, and if they do so, the publication of the banns is void. If the marriage is by licence or Registrar's certificate, the consent, in writing, of parents or guardians must be obtained and produced on the application for the licence or certificate. If in doubt, the Diocesan Registry should be consulted.

Guildford Diocesan Registry

This site is designed primarily to be a source of information for all those working in the parishes within the Diocese of Guildford as well as being a portal enabling parishes to monitor the progress of their Petitions for Faculties online.
View >>

SAFEGUARDING The Diocese does not tolerate abuse of any kind. Enquiries
YOUR DATA PRIVACY View the diocesan general privacy notice and data protection policy.