Legacies are a fundamental part of Stewardship and Christian Giving; leaving a gift in your Will is one of the most valuable and lasting ways you can give thanks to God for the gifts of your life and lifetime.
On this page you will find links to a wide range of resources for both church leaders and individuals who would like to know more about leaving a gift in their for the work of the church. If you would like to know more, please contact Juliet Evans, the Diocesan Stewardship Adviser.
NEW for 2016: A short Legacy film explaining how gifts in Wills can help transform the lives of our local churches and communities.
An article on Wills and Legacies is published in the September edition of the Diocesan newspaper The Wey. For a more detailed version of that article see Wills and Legacies Article 2016 and for an account about how St Mary's Stoke D'Abernon were able to build their new church hall see Stoke D'Abernon Case Study July 2016
The Church of England has a comprehensive website at www.parishresources.org.uk/legacies/.
How to encourage legacy giving:
- PCC legacy toolkit, including a guide for the PCC and a CD of the new legacy film
- Leaflets and other materials to offer for your congregation
- Sample codicil and letter of wishes forms
- Parish magazine articles
Why every Christian should have a Will:
- The importance of making a Will
- NEW A list of free or discounted Will-writing schemes
- Seeking professional advice, with links to the Law Society website
Guidance for a PCC on receiving a legacy:
- NEW Step-by-step guidance for a PCC receiving a legacy
- NEW The PCC meeting following notification of a legacy
- NEW Guidance notes for lay executors
- NEW PCC Guide to Inheritance Tax rules
Eleanor Gill, the Church of England’s National Legacies & Funding Officer ran an excellent legacies workshop in the diocese earlier this year, and the presentation slides can be found here: Guildford 2016 Legacy Workshop
Information for individuals
The Church of England has launched its new Church Legacy website at www.churchlegacy.org.uk and offers essential and accessible information for individuals who want to find out more about leaving a gift in their Will to their local or wider church.
- The difference a legacy can make
- The importance of writing a Will
- The importance of seeking professional advice and preparing your visit to a solicitor
- Wording for your Will
- Inheritance tax and other frequently asked questions
The impact of legacy gifts
Here are just some of the examples of legacy gifts making a difference across our parishes. You can also visit the Church Legacy website and read more parish stories from across the Church of England.