An opportunity to celebrate the work of the schools, nurseries and colleges in the parish.
Education Sunday Ideas for Schools and Colleges
Education Sunday is a national day of prayer and celebration for everyone involved in the world of education from nursery to adult education. Education Sunday provides the perfect opportunity for Christian leaders, churches and congregations to demonstrate their commitment to learning and teaching, and, more specifically, to those who learn and teach.
Education Sunday has been celebrated for over 100 years but because the date has been in the spring term it can be overlooked. Education Sunday is suggested to be the second Sunday in September, however we suggest that you choose any Sunday at the start of the academic year that fits comfortably into the pattern of church and school life.
- Encourage your local church or churches to celebrate Education Sunday. Remember that many children in your school may attend Messy Church so suggest it to them as well. Maybe involve your Open the Book Team if you have one.
- Offer to include invitations to all new entrants, and their parents and carers to a special service on Education Sunday as part of your school welcome pack.
- Offer to distribute publicity for an Education Sunday Service to your pupils using your parent mail or equivalent.
- Offer for a member of staff or a pupils to be involved in the service. You will have only been back a few days so will have little time to prepare anything so keep it simple. Maybe a reading, prayers or short interview.
- Offer to provide a display about your school to go up in the church. This could be on a display board or as a PowerPoint presentation to show on a screen. It’s probably best to prepare this before the end of the summer term.
- Offer for someone from the school or college to preach or provide an all age talk in the church service.
- Offer to provide artwork for an order of service, a banner for the front of church or even a communion table cover for the Education Sunday Service.
- Work with the local church to plan a service, of part of the service, that celebrates education.
- Use the materials produced by Churches Together in England in your service. www.cte.org.uk . They have produced liturgy, ideas for readings, music, talks and prayers.