The Diocesan Board of Education (DBE) is a statutory body which is responsible for Church schools and academy trusts in the Diocese of Guildford.
Under the DBE Measure 2021, the DBE must:
- promote or assist in the promotion of education in the diocese that is consistent
with the faith and practice of the Church of England
- promote or assist in the promotion of religious education and religious worship
in schools in the diocese
- promote or assist in the promotion of church schools in the diocese
- promote co-operation between itself and other persons concerned with education in the diocese.
Members elected by Diocesan Synod
• Mrs Alison Bateman
• Mr Mike Boddington
• Dr Clare Brunet
• Mrs Sarah Dunning
• Revd James Hanson
• Mr Keith Malcouronne
• Mrs Anna Shaw
• Mrs Rebecca Stacey
• Mr Mike Pocock
• Revd Neil Roberts
Members co-opted by the DBE
• To be confirmed
1. Guildford Diocesan Education Trust (GDET). This separate umbrella trust is the legal body responsible for appointing Members to Multi-Academy Trusts (MATS) in the Diocese. It meets once a half-term and reports directly to the Diocesan Board of Education.
2. Buildings & Estates Committee - This meets at least once a half-term to make key decisions related to school buildings and estates matters.
3. Christian Distinctiveness Committee - Supporting the work of the DBE with Christian Distinctiveness including matters concerning RE, Worship, SIAMS, links with parishes and related matters.
The new DBE will meet six times a year, once every six weeks (each school half-term) currently from 4pm to 6pm at Church House, Guildford (the Diocesan offices).
Trustees and Governors of Church Voluntary Schools in the Diocese are bound by law to consult the Board before making any agreement or arrangement with the Secretary of State, the Charity Commission or the local education authority with respect to re-arrangement, amalgamation, discontinuance, sale, letting or other dealings with such schools.
The Diocesan Board of Education has published ‘Shaping Our Future Together 2030’, a new academy strategy and policy which sets out its strategic approach for supporting Church schools and multi-academy trusts in the Diocese of Guildford.
The DBE is committed to working in partnership with partners and stakeholders to promote distinctive and inclusive high-quality education for all children and young people who attend our Church schools in the Diocese of Guildford.
As part of that commitment, the DBE will endeavour to ensure that every Church school in our Diocese has a sustainable future and can join a Church MAT within these timescales.
The DBE in Guildford will continue to be the statutory and responsible body for developing the academy strategy on behalf of its Church of England schools and MATs in our diocese based on our own context, our geography and the needs of our Church schools.
The new academy strategy sets out how the DBE will work with the governing bodies and multi-academy trust boards to enable them to develop their strategic plans to secure their future.
Find out more by visiting the Academy Trusts page.
For the latest Diocese of Guildford's response to public consultations in respect to our Church of England ?Schools see below:
Christ Church Virginia Water VA Infant School
14.09.2020 Surrey County Council, in partnership with the Guildford Diocesan Board of Education and the Governing Bodies of Christ Church C of E Infant School and Englefield Green Infant School and Nurseries, is proposing to open a new school by amalgamating the two schools into a single institution on the Englefield Green site from September 2021.
An informal consultation was published from 22 January to 26 February 2020 but because of the impact of Covid19, the decision was taken to pause the issue of statutory notices in March 2020. We are now re-issuing the statutory notices with 1 September 2021 as the revised proposed date for the opening of the new school.
The new Voluntary Aided Infant School, located on the Englefield Green site, would have a PAN of 60 and accommodate children from in Year R to Year 2. It would continue nursery provision currently provided by Englefield Green Infant School and Nurseries.
The proposed amalgamation would be achieved in 3 steps:
1. Surrey County Council and the governing body of Christ Church C of E Infant School are proposing the closure of Christ Church C of E Infant School
2. Surrey County Council and the governing body of Englefield Green Infant School and Nurseries are proposing the closure of Englefield Green Infant School and Nurseries
3. The Guildford Diocesan Board of Education is proposing the opening of a new voluntary aided school with Church of England character under section 11 of the Education and Inspection Act 2006 on the site of Englefield Green Infant School and Nurseries.
Two public meetings were held at the beginning of the year and a Q & A document was published based on the questions raised.
Surrey County Council, the Diocese of Guildford and the Governing Bodies of Christ Church Infant School and Englefield Green Infant School would like to know what the community thinks about this proposal. The consultation opens on Monday 14 September.
Full details of the proposals including how to respond are available at Surrey Says. The closing date for responses is Monday 12 October 2020.